Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
What is the current tax rate?
- The tax rate is $0.3325/$100 valuation.
When are tax bills due?
- Tax bills are due Sept. 1. However, bills are not delinquent until after Jan. 5 of the following year.
Where do I pay my property taxes?
- There are four ways to pay your taxes:
- In person: the Mecklenburg County Tax Collector is in the Robert (Bob) L. Walton Plaza at 700 E. Stonewall St., Charlotte. Hours are Monday-Friday, 8 AM-5 PM.
- By mail: send checks or money orders to City-County Tax Collector, P.O. Box 32247, Charlotte, NC 28232-2247. Make checks payable to City-County Tax Collector and send both the tax payment stub and your check or money order.
- By phone: call toll-free 1-877-533-0072 to use your debit or credit card.
- The Internet: go to www.charmeck.org/Departments/Tax+Collections/Home.htm and navigate to "Pay Taxes Online." Debit and credit cards are accepted.
What is a fiscal year?
- Like many governmental entities, the Town of Matthews operates on an annual financial year which is distinct from the calendar year; Jan. 1-Dec. 31. The fiscal year for the Town of Matthews begins July 1 and ends June 30.
What forms of payment does the Town accept?
- The Town accepts cash, business or personal checks and money orders. Return checks are subject to a $25 service charge. Debit or credit cards are accepted by the Finance Department