Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Resource
Town Events & Activities
- All Town sponsored events, activities, and programming are canceled through June 30. Reinstatement after June 30 will be assessed closer to that date. This includes:
- All Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Resources-sponsored events and programming. If you have pre-registered for a canceled event, you will be contacted directly with more information about a refund or rescheduling of the program.
- All Town buildings including Matthews Town Hall, the Matthews Community Center, Crews Recreation Center and the McDowell Arts Center are closed to the public until further notice.
- Town operations related to Administration, Planning & Zoning, Finance, Human Resources, Public Works, and Parks & Recreation will continue but with reduced in-person capacity. If you have a need, please continue to reach out to the appropriate department for service. Contact information for these departments can be found at www.matthewsnc.gov or by calling 704-847-4411.
- At this time, all Town of Matthews parks will remain open but no outdoor facility rentals (picnic shelters) will be allowed.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call Matthews Town Hall at 704-847-4411 or email [email protected].
Summer Camp registration has re-opened! Please visit the link below for the full list of our camp offerings.
Register Online for Classes, Camps and Programs
Click HERE for our list of Summer Camp procedures and changes for
2020 due to Covid-19
Parks, Facilities, & Greenway Guide
Enjoy Matthews Parks, Facilities, & Greenway
Parks are open from dawn to dusk each day.
The greenway is open at all times except during floods or repairs.
Parks and Facilities are tobacco free.
To reserve a shelter at any of these parks, call 704-321-7275
More information about Matthews Parks and Facilities can be found here.
Classes and Programs
The Town of Matthews offers a variety of recreation programs & activities for all ages. For more info regarding classes and programs, call the Matthews Community Center at 704-321-7275 or Crews Recreation Center at 704-708-1287.
Our Mission: The Matthews Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Resource Department will preserve and enhance the quality of life with dynamic and accessible programs, facilities, services and the promotion of tourism. The department strives to create a strong sense of community through individual, environmental, social and economic impacts. Established in 1995, the department offers a wide variety of service, leisure programs, activities and opportunities for individuals of all ages and abilities. Park facilities, greenways and open space also provide recreational opportunities for citizens and surrounding communities.